Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Day 2

Well, it certainly was a busy day, and night. They started me on high levels of steroids to decrease inflammation in my lungs, which has caused my blood sugars to be uncontrollably high. That means they had to wake me up at 3, 4, & 5AM to check my blood sugar. All day it's been high and it's starting to get on my nerves because I keep having to do more and more insulin.

My body aches are almost gone, but I think it's because I got some better pain pills than the ibuprofen I had been taking. More good news is that my PFTs (pulmonary function test) were up 1% from last Monday, they're at 29% now. More good news is that I've gained weight, I'm now at 115.8 when I had been running about 112. That prednisone is a great appetite stimulant, let me tell ya!

I'm going to try to start working out some tomorrow. I have a bike in my room so I can do it here if I don't feel like going down to the gym. I'm on a lot of oxygen so I'm hoping that I don't get so short of breath. My goal is to be able to go back to pulmonary rehab when I get out and be able to pick up where I left off, or even increase what I was doing.

All this hospital time has given me time to read, even if is only 10 or 15 uninterrupted minutes. I'm almost done with How to be Good by Nick Hornby. I really enjoy the author, he wrote the books that the movies About a Boy, High Fidelity and Fever Pitch (the original) adapted from. I brought two more books by him but I have a feeling Todd will be bringing me more.

They also are doing 5 CPTs (chest physical therapy) a day, every 4 hours, so I don't get many big chunks of time to myself. Got a couple short naps in today, which is necessary when you only get 2 hours of uninterrupted sleep at night. The prednisone also makes me jittery and it's tough to sleep away from home anyway, so I will definitely need my ambien this week. That stuff really works! I remember last time I was in the hospital and took one and was going to read in a text book until it kicked in. I don't exactly remember how long it took but it ended with me sitting cross legged on my bed with my forehead resting on the book. When my nurse came in I think that image gave her a scare and she rushed in and asked if I was alright. Kind of embarrassing. :P

Todd will be up to see me tomorrow. I miss him a lot. Maybe it'll be nice enough that we can go for a walk outside. It's nice to be able to get away from all of the people who bug you all day and make them wait for once!

I'm actually feeling pretty good at the moment. My lungs seem to have really responded to the prednisone. I just hope that they don't close up too quickly once they start tapering my doses. You never know if you're getting better or if it's just the drugs.

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now & my shoulders are getting tired from typing in a bad position. Food tray = bad computer table!


No comments: