Friday, March 12, 2010

At the doctor's office I had to wear a lovely mask, and everyone who had contact with me wore mask, gown and gloves. I felt like I had the plague or something. We discussed what action they were taking. Since it's so rare, my doctor has been and will be consulting with other CF centers to learn how they handle their patients with cepacia and what the protocol is for treatment. They took another sputum culture and will send both that one and the one from a week earlier to a special lab in Michigan that deals exclusively with cepacias so they can identify which strain it is. The wait could be a short as one week but as long as 8 weeks! He told me not to worry, though, because there are different strains of cepacia and there is a chance that it isn't the aggressive B. Cepacia. And if that's the case, they may be able to treat it and I'd still be eligible for transplant. So until I know, keep me in your prayers. I need all the help I can get!!

No comments: